Lasagne needs no introduction: It’s the quintessential Italian food, period! This dish is generally loaded with heavy ingredients some of which are anything but plant-based. We are obviously not going to use animal products to produce this lasagne dish, and we are also going to make it healthy, good-looking and quite delicious, which never hurts. We took the inspiration for this lasagne from a very popular Italian ravioli filling called ricotta e spinach, which you probably already know. Well, all you need to do now is to find the ingredients, go to your kitchen and get preparing, and I’m sure that at the end of the cooking process you’ll find yourself in front of some beautifully cooked and delectable lasagne. Buon appetito!
- For the béchamel sauce, place all the ingredients into a saucepan over a medium heat and stir well to combine them. Heat gently, stirring constantly until the liquid reaches the boiling point and thickens.
- For the filling, take the spinaches and cut them as finely as possible.
- Place the tofu into a large bowl and crush it using a spatula to achieve a ricotta-like consistency. Add the tomato sauce, the miso paste, the béchamel sauce and the paprika into the bowl, and stir well to combine them.
- Add the chopped spinaches into the bowl and mix well to complete the filling. Remember to taste the mixture and adjust salt if desired, as the filling is the main component of the dish.
- To compose the final lasagne, tip some of the béchamel into an oven dish, add some filling, mix well and evenly spread the mixture.
- Place a layer of pasta on top of the filling and add another layer of filling.
- For these quantity of ingredients we used a 23 centimetres (nine inches) oven dish and we made a four layers lasagne.
- Keep alternating a layer of pasta to a layer of filling until you’ve ran out of ingredients. The last layer should be a filling one.
- To get a more appealing lasagne, add some béchamel sauce on top of the last layer, and a small quantity of vegan cheese if desired.
- To cook the lasagne, bake them under the grill for 15 minutes or until golden brown. If you don’t have a grill, preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F) and bake the lasagne for 15 minutes.
Preparation Time: 20m
Cooking Time: 15m
Total Time: 35m
Cooking Temperature: Grill or 230°C (450°F)
Storage Times: Keeps for 2 days in the fridge