As in many other recipes on this website, I’m not sure that apple strudel needs any sort of introduction from our side. The variety of strudel that can be prepared in infinite, and to be quite honest with you… we still have to find one that we don’t like! However, since we are completely in love with this one and we wanted you to be able to easily replicate it, we developed a recipe that is sure to score a hit, can be prepared in about 20 minutes, and gives results fit for any dessert lover. The braided top is an addition of ours, and although it might look intimidating at first, is actually very easy to make, and I’m sure that you will get it perfect at your very first attempt. Buona preparazione!
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F).
- Toast the pine nuts for about 5 minutes or until properly browned.
- Mix the apples with the lemon juice, the sugar, the pine nuts, the raisins, the zest, the breadcrumbs and the cinnamon, and stir well to properly combine the ingredients. Reserve in the fridge until needed.
- Roll out the pastry, and mark it into three long, even strips by pressing down with a ruler, without cutting through.
- Cut 1” (2.5cm) wide horizontal strips on either sides of the sheet (14 strips per side), leaving the middle third untouched. To make the strudel easier to close, cut the four outer strips to obtain two flaps that will be used to seal the ends.
- Spread the apple filling to cover the middle third of the pastry, and gently press it to make it more uniform. Fold the flap over the filling, and then the strips on each side alternately to create a braid.
- Brush the strudel with the soy milk and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes – or until golden brown – turning once if it’s browning unevenly.
- Leave to cool down completely, then slice, dust with icing sugar, and enjoy!
- The lemon zest can be substituted with the zest of any other preferred citrus fruit.
- For the apples, I used Gala variety, but any other sweet variety will work just as well.
- For the sugar, you can use any kind of granulated sugar you want, as they all work well.
Cooking Temperature: 170°C - 340°F
Storage Times: Keeps for 3 days in the fridge